Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Decor on the Cheap, Sort Of...

If I had a free afternoon and was told to leave the house, I know where my car would be headed. I could spend HOURS in stores like HomeGoods, and in fact, have. Several times.

While I by no means profess to have mad interior design skills, I do have an eye for colors and textures, and have the lucky gift of visualization. Before Tom and I had even moved one single box into our new digs, I had been to the hardware store three times for paint chips, and had already begun sketching layouts for the furniture.

Despite the fact that we haven't picked up a paintbrush yet, I'm still working on finishing the space up, even if it's only mentally. I'm always on the hunt for a piece of artwork that I love on Etsy, always looking for a luxurious steal on Overstock.com, or waiting on baited breath for some tips from the youngsters at This Young House.

So, during a moment of boredom on my lunch hour, I decided to peruse the home decor "aisle" on Overstock.

How fun would this be on a coffee table (or even a dining room table) filled with little white tea lights? Of course with Murdock, there's no way we could do this...

I've been hunting for a silver framed mirror, preferably with a beveled edge and a bit of a "romantic" feel to sit on top of the mantle above the fireplace. I've determined that a 16" x 21" is too small, but a bigger mirror becomes quite pricey...




I love candle sconces lately. I think they're pretty impractical, though beautiful. I'm not a fan of these because they're gold, but these would look fabulous hanging side by side in an entry way next to a mirror...and for less than $20, c'mon!!


And these, these are the pillows that inspired this post. Sigh. I wish I had a space for these right now. I LOVE them. They'd look fab as an accent on our master bed (dark cherry wood, pale blue sheets, crisp white duvet). Le sigh. And again, for $28 for 2, these pillows are seriously cheap!!


Anybody know of any fantastic place for bargains? (Specifically a mirror? ;) )

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Beth. . .I searched but I know of no places to find a cheap mirror. . . just go to a thrift store!

    ReplyDelete