Friday, May 22, 2009

In Your Thoughts...

Though I know it's just a routine procedure, I can't help but still be a bit unnerved about Murdock's surgery today.

I met the vet who has been taking care of him since he was rescued today, and I really liked him. We were waiting in the parking lot for the office to open, and he was the first one in. Instead of waiting for an assistant, he helped me out with the paperwork, kept Murdock entertained while I filled it out, and talked me through some of the options for today.

I couldn't help but get the feeling that I was at the auto repair shop, though, being told that I needed more services or else my car was going to crash. The surgery, paid for as part of our contract with the rescue, doesn't cover IV fluids or pre-surgical blood work. From what I've read, that seems to be pretty standard, so I was a bit irritated when I had to pay an extra $100 for those. Since he was already there and sedated, I decided to go ahead and finish up his shots (particularly Rabies, which is SO important). Murdock was first rescued from a high-kill shelter as a puppy, and had contracted hookworm. This was 2 months ago, but the vet thought it'd be a good idea to check to make sure he is fully recovered. Oh sure, put it on my tab. Oh, and don't forget we'll need to start him on heartworm pills today, too.

Don't get me wrong --- I love this dog and don't mind spending money to keep him healthy and well. I just wish I knew for a fact that it was 100% necessary and not optional. I also feel the same way about my car. Haha.

PS -- Good Luck at Nationals tomorrow, Thomas! :) I am soooo proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment